Thursday 14 January 2010

Day 33



MONDAY 11th JANUARY

Highlight of the day: Seeing that our accommodation was right on the Mediterranean. That excitement amplified when it became apparent we also had a private beach!



Lowlight of the day: Arthur. Or discovering that I had accidentally deleted all of yesterday's photos. Toilet ratings: One was great, the St Mina's one was a real lowlight, but at least there was a western style one free (and we were eventually able to release Lyn who had somehow been locked inside).


Favourite quote/word: “I've been in the Red Sea, Dead Sea, Med Sea and the Sea-of-Gali-lee.”


 
Favourite photo:


 
Cultural-shock moment: Bling in the churches. How many sparkling coloured lights does one need?





The Coptic cross, which I really like.

New food consumed: I had another peanut butter kit kat. So wrong, but so good. Random act of crazy: The flashing light decorations on the pictures of Saints at St Mina's.

What Arthur did next: Was late for our pick up because he had been stealing breakfast food and had three plates to eat (he refuses to eat anything unless it is free, then he gorges) and then had locked his stuff in his safe. He swore at Kerri when she pointed out the time to him (they are not currently on speaking terms) and then left his mobile so we ended up leaving Cairo quite a bit later than anticipated. As ever, it was always someone else's fault. I think it was mostly Kerri's fault as far as he was concerned this morning. He took the free food offered at the monastery even though it was apparently tasteless, disappeared again after our guide had waited behind for him, and bought the most tacky cushion cover of the Virgin and child ever. He also packs most of his stuff in tattered plastic bags which are falling apart and complains that he needs to get another suitcase. Did I ever mention that he is a lawyer who apparently travels for six months of the year? (Meaning his miserly tendencies and inability to meet deadlines should be uncharacteristic). Also since I am really complaining about him, I am sick of seeing his tattered jeans with holes in inappropriate places.

Something I want to remember: How wondrous it was to be standing in the warm water looking out towards the sun and thinking about the many thousands of years of history this water has had, that it touches the heritage of so many ancient and modern cultures, that so many have perished in it, that Paul was shipwrecked on it, and that God has shaped our lives around his creation. The song 'Strong and Constant' came into my heart and it was quite a powerful reflective moment. I really wish that I wasn't complaining so much about Arthur, and I keep reflecting that he too is a child of God and rather than being annoyed by him, I need to share grace and forgiveness.

 Today has been a wonderful day, though it started out a bit rocky. Seeing the Mediterranean Sea has filled me with an utter peace and contentment, such that I haven't had even in Israel. I truly cherish the place where I am writing this entry, on the raised concrete path less than two metres from the waves of the Mediterranean, looking out onto the sunset and the water. Given how dirty Cairo was, this has felt a place of cleansing. I keep finding places that I love, but this one is very special. Kerri was looking forward to Alexandria more than me, but now I am passionately invoked.





I can't wait to start my new life by the beach. The wonder of this seaside is filling me with optimism and hope for my life. I've come to a new place today and I am very ready to face my future, whatever befalls. I have been to many places of supreme spiritual significance and maybe because the time I spent there didn't often allow reflection, it has taken until now before I am truly feeling the impact that seeing those places has had on me.



I am a truly blessed child. I'm almost crying because I feel so emotional at the moment. I have been doing a lot of thinking about how nice it has been to have someone with me as I travel, and to know that I am coming home to a family that adore me (in spite of how uniquely annoying I can be) yet I am still lonely. But here – in spite of the fact that I am in the presence of no-one, I am in the presence of my Father, and that is more than enough – I am never really alone. I pray that will always be enough to sustain me, that I won't seek fulfilment in things that will not satisfy, or think more of myself than of others.



As I am on the cusp of the new year, I also glimpse the future but so much of it is still glassy and unclear. I've just finished reading a biography of Ruth by Francine Rivers, and I want so much to be as loyal and trusting in the will of God rather than trying to force my own direction. I was also listening to some podcasts on Proverbs, and the true value of wisdom. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Once anew, I'm giving everything up to Him, realising that nothing I offer but myself – my whole self - is ever enough. I don't really know where my life is going, or what I am being shaped to do, or whether I will do it alone, but I am so earnestly praying and trying to believe that in time, I will be not as I will, but as He wills.


We drove out of Cairo to Alexandria via St Mina's Coptic Orthodox Church, but beside my sunset reflections, what significance is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment