Thursday 14 January 2010

Day 30

FRIDAY 8th JANUARY.

Synopsis of day: Abu Simbel

Highlight of the day: The glistening of Lake Nasser right in front of Abu Simbel, and discovering how interesting the site of Abu Simbel is because of its relocation history.

Lowlight of the day: We didn't get into our hotel at Cairo before 1.30am.

Toilet ratings: Erk they really need toilet paper. Especially if you're paying for the loo, they should at least provide that.

Favourite quote/word: “Nefertari.. who was better known as Ethel.”

Favourite photo:



Cultural-shock moment: Every EgyptAir plane flights being delayed by at least four hours because the planes hadn't arrived from Cairo or elsewhere, arrival at the airport being “paied for by the driver” and going to “chick in”

New food consumed: Chicken McArabia. Also they don't do small sizes here at Maccas – their medium is our large, and large is like a massive supersize, and there is a super size above that!

Favourite purchase: A bright green scarf.

Random act of crazy: As we were walking along in Aswan a car drove by which had about twelve Muslim men, women and children in it, and they were all pointing at us and laughing. We found it highly ironic.

Something I want to remember: The pretty. Always the pretty.

Number of times I have been told I have a nice smile: Almost as many times as Kerri and I have been told we have nice eyes (I think they were enchanting for one man).


Today was one of flights. When we arrived at “chick in” at the airport it was to discover that our AirEgypt flight to Abu Simbel had been delayed for four hours (which was roughly when we were expecting to be back). Our agent arranged a flight with a different airline, Air Memphis, and we were able to arrive only a few minutes after we had intended. The tickets were a bit of a joke on the way there, but even less informative on the way back (they were completely blank) and the seating was a case of first in best dressed. I didn't sit next to anyone on the way down, and I can't remember the last time I had that luxury. I spent most of the three flights of that day engrossed in my Francine Rivers and was always disappointed that we had arrived (the flights were pretty quick and although noisy, there were no other issues).


Part of  Lake Nasser - this picture doesn't indicate its sheer size - about 450km!


It was a hot day and because we had checked out our luggage from the boat, I was carrying Jules everywhere. I was always relieved if there was an opportunity to put my bag down! Our guide was the most informative Egyptian one we've had to date, and I found myself quite transfixed in the history of Abu Simbel, most of which I was unfamiliar with. After seeing so many pictures, I had really expected the statues of Ramses II to be higher, but they didn't feel that much larger than anything I had seen in Luxor or Deir-el-Bahri.



People, to provide an indicator of size.

Inside the temple were the Battle of Kadesh carvings and inscriptions (more Megiddo!!) and I properly annoyed Kerri once more by daring to mention the 'M-word'. We were both amazed at the work which much have been entailed in resettling the temple in its new location above (rather than several metres within) Lake Nasser (which was very blue and sparkly). I liked that there was an ankh symbol for the key to the door of Abu Simbel, and that the guard let me take a picture of him with the key.




Once more the shopkeepers were overly friendly and to the others overly persuasive, but I made it back having purchased only an ice-block. After our flight we stopped off at McDonalds and it was really exciting because it was both airconditioned and smoke-free (and that is SUCH a novelty here). There were chicken and fish big macs and about four different fish burgers. No McCafe but there was a big soup tureen! Apparently you can also get a McDelivery (and we saw the same thing advertised at a Kentucky Fried Camel (as it is affectionately known here – I was amused by that).






Phil and Sharyn walked directly back but Lyn, Kerri, Mary and myself (the avid shoppers) took a more round-a-bout way through the streets and souq of Aswan. I was really pleased that I did because we encountered some really special (not necessarily good) sights and smells, and seemed to be quite a tourist attraction. Once again I had far too much fun fobbing off and bargaining with street vendors and shopkeepers. One propositioned me directly while others just tried to flatter us or entice us into our shops. Our favourite attempt was one man who smiled and said “I don't know what you want but I have it here!” which was an improvement on others like “No hassle!” (lies) and “No price for looking” or “I pay you to look!” (we never entered those ones because it was obviously lies).






We finally made it back to the boat and had one room booked for the lot of us, so some of us went upstairs but I ended up having another nap, which was just as well given how long it was before we made it to bed. We waited around in the Aswan airport again for a while and I listened to some Mark Driscoll podcasts before highly amusing a little girl with fan unfurling competitions (she always beat me). We were delayed after the flight because Arthur had requested his manicure set (which had been confiscated because it was in his backpack) to be sent as luggage and it didn't turn up so he went missing in search of it. It was already close to 1am by this point and it was close to an hour to travel to the hotel from the airport so we were absolutely exhausted by the time it came to get to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment